Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Adventures in Job Hunting

First of all, can someone PLEASE get Carlos Mencia to STOP?! We get it-you like to make self depricating jokes about being Hispanic. WHATEVA. Lame.


Anyways, it has been about two weeks since I "liberated" myself from the cotton fields, and I must say, the underground railroad up to Canada is a bumpy one. It has been a few years since I have embarked on such a journey, and never did I remember it being so laughable. So for the first week, I did a lot of playing (althought I did squeeze in one out-of-town interview)-I fished (caught two of 'em!), I went to a Stars game (go Stars!), stayed up and out until the wee hours of the morning, etc. Celebrating liberation. The second week I attempted to step it up a bit. I didn't cut on the television until after 5pm, waking up at 8am each day and attempting to pretend like the job search would be my "full time job" until I found a for real one. So I would spend the time fielding phone calls, as well as making some and of course, spending time online trying to see whats out there. And man o man...what a funny, unproductive week it was!


If I wanted a job in the same field, I surely could've had another job by now. I have recieved about 20 calls and emails wanting me to do the SAME type of work for an extraordinarily LESS amount of pay. The phone rings, with the caller ID showing always some unknown number....


"Is this Gordon?"


"Speaking....how can I help you?"


"My name is Sally/Sammy Recruiter, and I ran across your resume on Monster and we have some excellent positions for you. They start at $11.50/hr and are located in...."


"Stop! Ummm...did you even look at my resume?? $11.50/hr? Get the HELL off my phone, burning up my daytime minutes with your nonsense...!"


Hahahaah at least that's what I want to say. Anyone that calls, I listen, and if what they are saying makes me grit my teeth, I politely thank them for their call, tell them I am not interested, and then answer the next call, which will turn out to be more bullcrap. I actually had one HR gal from one company contact me a few times, trying to sell me on taking a position that started $10,000 less than what I asked for, and then she tried to tell me that it works out because I will be working in Ft Worth instead of Dallas,  and that Fort Worth has lower sales tax and less traffic, therefore using less gas. And this broad was DEAD serious! But last time I checked, I didnt spend $10K on sales tax and gas while working in Dallas. I mean, seriously....again, get the HELL off my phone talking that nonsense and burning up my daytime minutes...ahahaha because T-Moble does.not.play. They won't let ya ride like Sprint does on the overages...


These calls happen(ed) like3-4 times a day. Then there are the random emails from some off-brand companies. The Lionheart Group. Liberty Mutual Financial. Tommy NoName, Inc. They are rife with misspellings(sp? LOL) and vague in their job/company descriptions. They are quickly DELETED.


I have to say though, the absolute cherry on the Aggrivation Sundae was when this one HEFFA called me about a "loan counseling" position. First she asked me how much I wanted to make. I told her, then she said that was no problem, she could meet that. Then she proceeded to give me the job description, and the location of this particular company, which was at 75 and Haskell. There is only ONE mortgage company at this location, which I have worked at. I asked if that was Homecomings, and directed her to my resume, which would clearly show I have worked there some time ago. She assured me it wasnt. I asked her AGAIN after she rattled off the job descriptions and hours, etc (because it all sounded very familiar). Once again, she assured me it wasnt Homecomings, it was GMAC (GMAC OWNS this company, or they USED to..a lot of things goin on over there now...). The phone call quickly ended; as I told her I was not interested. And yes, it was the same company I had worked at before. That heffa was trying to set me up for the okey-doke. And for that, she must hunted down and slapped to unconsciousness.


The beginning of week three is about to start. I will be driving cross country for the first part of the week, (maybe?) coming back by the end of the week. I figure I might as well take a vacation from the full time job of looking for a full time job. I mean I gave myself 3 months max...I wanna pace myself! LOL


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment