Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yaaay! I have a job...now do I WANT it?!

So the adventures in job-hunting...have they ended as quickly as they began? Better yet, am I READY to start working again? This has been one of the longest, funnest (is that even a word?) months ever. I have all the sudden become outdoorsy; having fished, camped, kayaked, and hiked all in the past month.  I like being able to meet people for lunch whenever and wherever because I have no where to be in particular. I like not commuting in rush hour traffic. I have settled in to actually liking the feeling of making my own schedule for the week. Yet, there is a twinge of anxiety..that I have too much time, and I must keep myself productive (ie WORKING) before I get to the point of no return and become a professional lounger. Decisions, decisions!


What to do, what to do. So almost a month to the day of me liberating myself from the bowels of CitiHELL, I was "tendered" a job offer, albeit one a little less favorable than what I was going for within the same company. Nonetheless the company is pretty small for the moment, just setting up shop in Ausin barely even three months ago. If I get in where I fit in now, there is (theoretically)tremendous growth opportunity. And on top of that, its in freakin Austin! I mean, could I ask for anything more?? I would be right where I want to be, just not exactly doing what I want to do, being where I want to be. See the dilema?


At any rate, I had better make this decison with a quickness, as in like TOMORROW quick, as this company would like me to start MONDAY. Perhaps due to a little flub on their part, as the offer letter I received this Tuesday had a date of May 1st on it. No matter......at least I got the (a?) job. But then my mind starts to wander..."but my family and most of my friends are HERE...as of now my life is HERE....comfort in familiarity and routine." THENNNNN..my REAL self comes out..."it's not like when I moved to DENVER, a 12 hour drive away....I will be 3 (actually me and Beamey make it do what it do in a little under 2 1/2 hours)hours away...I LOVE me some new adventures....I have no kids/spouse/ties that prevent me from bouncing around as much as I want or need to...meeting new people is fun (when they aren't crazy)...new watering holes to frequent in good ol' Austin; ahahhahah and MOST importantly-I have found a place HALF A MILE from the new job should I take it." After commutes from hell for the past 6 years, I just cannot get over that...


So back and forth I go. On one hand, just the thrill of packing up my car again like I did when I was 21 and heading to someplace "new" gets me more hyped than drinking a gallon of coffee.  What whacky adventures (or misadventures) await? On the other hand, I will miss my family and friends, etc and the COMFORT that goes along with them. Yet, I always tell myself and others, that sometimes, you gotta get a little uncomfortable to grow and expand yourself as a person.  I am NOT ashamed to say that my comfy down pillow needs to be traded in for styrofoam one to break in LOL. And I am enjoying this time off more than not; and another month of playtime couldnt hurt ahahahah. But alas, It will probably be better in the long run to play on the company's dime (aka paid vacation),and NOT mine. I likes my dimes hahahahaha. AND I will ONLY be 2 1/2 hours away, so its all good anyways.


So right now looks like I may be packing up the car (which I have found to be very small and impractical for these kinds of things) and headed out on ol' 35W due south here in about 36 hours. Unless I wake up in the morning and feel differently heheheeh. Jayzuss.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment